Video Usage in Cellular Networks
Video is a dominant factor in mobile traffic today. As smart phones become more and more popular, more people watch videos on their smart phones. However, the investment of ISPs, such as AT&T and Verizon, lags far behind. There is a huge gap between demand and supply in wireless bandwidth in cellular networks today. I did some research on the characteristics of video traffic. I mainly read some reports from ByteMobile (http://www.bytemobile.com/index.html).
Video traffic characteristics:
- Video occupies 50% of the traffic.
- Video users watch 10 videos sequentially, each of which is 60-90 seconds long on average.
- On an average day, 17% laptop users, 11% iPhone users, 7% Android users, <1% feature phone users consume video content.
- 10% users generate approximately 90% of total traffic.
- 40% of total data volume is generated by the top 3% of videos requested.
- Average video size 5minutes, but only watch about 1 minutes.